Frequently asked questions

About Study in Europe

What is Study in Europe and where is it located?

Study in Europe is not a higher education institution. Study in Europe is a European Union project, which aims to help international students to find out about higher education study, research and scholarship opportunities in Europe. Please visit the Study in Europe portal if you wish to learn more about the project.

What services do you offer?

Study in Europe informs students worldwide about studying in one of the 34 Erasmus+ progamme countries. We do this via Facebook, Instagram, the Study in Europe portal and during student fairs around the world.

How much do your services cost?

Study in Europe informs international students about higher education in Europe. For this, we do not charge fees to students. 


Courses / Programmes

I wish to study in Europe, but do not know where to start…

On the Study in Europe portal, you will find lots of information about studying in Europe, including a country profile for each European country. Browse the different country profiles and learn more about the higher education systems.  The Study in Europe checklist will help you to plan the different steps you have to take to study in Europe.

Follow us on Facebook and Instagram where we post interesting facts and information about studying in Europe.

How long will my degree course take if I study in Europe?

The average length for degree programmes is:

  • Bachelor's degree programme: 3 years
  • Master's degree programme: 2 years
  • Doctorate/PhD: 3 years


Is it also possible to study in English?

In addition to study programmes in their official languages, most European countries also offer many programmes taught in English. Have a look at the different country profiles, where you will find more information.

Will European universities recognize my school-leaving certificate, my previous higher education degree or the time I already spent studying in my home country?

This is handled differently by each country and sometimes even by each higher education institution. We recommend contacting the International Office of the European university where you want to study to check if the certificate/degree that you already obtained will be recognized. You can also find more information on the recognition of academic and professional qualifications on the ENIC-NARIC portal.

How can I learn more about admission requirements?

We would recommend contacting the International Office of the higher education institutions in Europe you are particularly interested in to ask for detailed information on admission requirements. You may also look on the country profiles on the Study in Europe portal, where you will find useful information on all European countries and general information on admission requirements.

For which countries are IELTS/TOEFL not mandatory?

Each country, even each higher education institution, decides on its admission requirements. We would recommend contacting the International Office of your selected higher education institution in Europe to ask for detailed information on its specific requirements regarding English language certificates.

How can I find the best university?

With thousands of world-class universities, higher education institutions and research institutes in Europe, it is difficult to tell you which university will be the best for you. Each student has different priorities, interests and wishes. We propose to check the Study in Europe checklist  to start gathering information about European higher education institutions.

If you want to consult a university ranking, U-Multirank is a user-driven ranking that covers different aspects of higher education and can be adapted to your needs and priorities. U-Multirank is an independent tool, financially supported by the European Union in its first years.


Funding / Living costs / work

What are the tuition fees per year for international students?

In general, studying in Europe offers good value for money. Each European country has its own tuition fee policy. Have a look at the country profiles, where you can see the typical tuition fees per country.

What are the living costs for international students in Europe?

Costs for accommodation, food and drink, transport etc. vary across Europe. The country profiles may help you to find out more. Do not forget to ask the International Office of the European higher education institution that you are interested in about the average living costs in their city. Additionally, we have put together some tips on how to save money as a student in Europe.

Will I be able to work during my studies?

Many students work part-time whilst they study or during the university holidays to help support themselves financially. Each country has restrictions on the maximum amount of hours that an international student can work during his/her studies. Check the immigration website for each country to find out more on this topic.

Can I stay on after my studies to work in Europe?

Each European country has adopted different regulations to allow students to stay on after their studies to look for a job. However, the European Union has requested that international students can stay at least for 9 months to look for a suitable work opportunity. Check the immigration website for each country to find out more.

Where do I find information on scholarships?

There are a lot of scholarships and funding schemes available across Europe, e.g. the Erasmus+ programme or scholarships proposed by each country. On the Study in Europe portal we list the main programmes.

Do you offer scholarships to refugees?

Study in Europe does not offer scholarships at all. The Refugee Welcome map offers an overview of different initiatives for refugee students and researchers.

Do I need a visa to study in Europe?

Almost every non- EU/EEA resident needs a visa when he or she wants to stay in Europe for a considerable period of time. Students are often required to apply for a student visa. With this visa, you can stay in your host country for a fixed period of time. The rules concerning visas may differ from one country to another. Check the EU Immigration portal for more information and contact the respective embassy of the European country you are interested in studying in.



We are international education agents and we wish to collaborate with you. How can we?

We thank you for your interest in Study in Europe. We do not work with education agencies in the scope of this project. However, you are free to refer interested students towards the Study in Europe website for more information on studying in Europe:


Study in Europe Fairs

Do I have to register to attend a Study in Europe fair?

Prior online registration for visitors is not mandatory, but it helps us to organise the fairs and we can contact you if there are any last minute changes. It also means you can avoid the queue at the venue! If you can’t register before the event starts, don’t worry, you can register on the day.

(Please note: For our virtual events prior online registration is mandatory to guide you to the respective websites where the virtual fairs will take place).

Who can attend the fairs?

Anyone interested in learning more about studying in Europe can visit the Study in Europe fairs. The exhibitors will provide information about their universities, study programmes at Bachelor's, Master's and Doctoral level, information about funding and scholarships as well as information on living in Europe. 

Is it free-of-charge to attend the Study in Europe fairs?

Yes, entrance to the fairs is free-of-charge for visitors. 

Where and when are the fairs taking place?

Please have a look at the calendar.

Where do I find information about the exhibitors?

Please have a look at the calendar. Click on the 'Visitor information' for the fair that you are interested in attending. A list of participating universities and organisations will be displayed there. 

How can I contact the organisers?

Please have a look at the calendar. Click on the 'Visitor information' for the fair that you are interested in attending. There you can 'Send a query'.